Copyright is a legal instrument that provides the creator of a work of art or literature, or a work that conveys information or ideas, the right to control how the work is used. The copyright gives an author of a work an economic incentive to create new works.
Copyright law in Pakistan is governed by the following legislation:
- Copyright Ordinance 1962 and,
- Copyright Rules 1967
- Full name, nationality and full business address of the applicant.
- Name, business address and complete residential address of the author of the work.
- The year of creation of the work.
- Power of Attorney.
- Year from which the work was published/used.
- Affidavit from the author, if the applicant is a party other than the author and the work has been assigned to the applicant.
We provide the following Copyright Services:
- New Filings
- Official Actions
- Acceptance & Registration
- Opposition matters
Q1: What types of items copyright law protects in Pakistan?
The following matters can be protected under the copyright law:
- Original, literary, dramatic, musical and artistic works;
- Software, CD, & Cassettes
- Cinematographic works; and
Q2: What is the length of protection of a copyright in your country?
Life of the author + 70 years for inheritors.
Q3: How long does the copyright take to be registered?
Q4: What kind of sanctions does your copyright law provide against infringers?
Imprisonment that may extend 2-4 years and a fine of $35,000- $110,000.
Q5: Are there any limitations of copyright in your jurisdictions?
Q6: Must transfer agreements be recorded?
Q7: Must license agreements to be recorded?
Q8: Are there any consequences of non-recorded agreements?